Elliot Blake's Tumblr Photo Blog

Friday, November 7, 2008

Teasing a Project

Yesterday, I received a package from one of my favorite indie cartoonists, with whom I've been developing an animated series off and on for the last three-plus years. Over the summer, the development has been more on than off, and now I have in my hands the final art for the series proposal, which will be hand-delivered to the network sometime next week. To say that I am excited about getting this out the door is an understatement. When I can post a more formal tease of the project, I will.

-EB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always been keen on finding a template for the perfect pitch package for an animated series....but I guess it's best to let the content lead the package design? Curious on your thoughts. Love your blog...would love to link it to my site.

Lee Williams
Boomstone Animation Inc.
boomstone.com

Elliot Blake said...

Lee -
Thanks for reading - and feel free to link me to your site!

Regarding pitch packages, I don't know if there is a "perfect" template - if there is, I certainly haven't found it yet. I always try to be concise and brief, assuming that development people are going to make a judgement based on what they see on the top page. So I try and grab with a solid logline and a good piece of artwork. Of course, I haven't sold a show yet, nor have I pitched more than a few, so I'm certainly no expert.

My gut feeling, though, is that the way each project needs to be presented is dependent on the project itself. I can tell you that the project I was teasing in this post is being presented as a minicomic, since the cartoonist I'm working with is known for his minicomics - so it seemed like a no-brainer to go that way. We'll see how it's received.