Elliot Blake's Tumblr Photo Blog

Friday, October 17, 2008

I Wonder if I Live in a Pro-America Kind of Town?

At a McCain fundraiser in Greensboro, North Carolina on Thursday night, Gov. Sarah Palin said this:

“We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America,” Ms. Palin said, according to a pool report. “Being here with all of you hard-working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation. This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans.”

Good grief. I didn't realize there were ares of the country more pro-American than others. I wonder where the anti-America parts of the country are? Anyone? The cities maybe? Is that what she meant?

SARCASM ALERT!
Thank goodness Sarah Palin was brought on to the national stage to point these things out to us, because without her, I never would have realized that it's the small towns where the kind and good and courageous everyday Americans live. Because, oh, I don't know, New Yorkers who had to endure the horror and tragedy of September 11th are only kind and good and courageous one or twice a week, I guess. Yeah, that must be it - you just can't find the kindness, goodness, or courage of everyday Americans in the big cities. Thanks for clearing that up, Governor.
END SARCASM ALERT.

That little speech by Palin once again seems to be implying that people in small towns are more patriotic, or that they are the true patriots of this nation. I'd really like it if the Republicans would stop calling into question the patriotism of those who don't agree with them. I'm not a Republican - that much should be obvious - but I love my country as much as anyone, and I'm proud to be an American, and I'll be an even more proud American if we elect Barack Obama to the presidency.

-EB

No comments: