Elliot Blake's Tumblr Photo Blog

Monday, October 6, 2008

Good Grief

I took a couple of days off of blogging, mostly because I don't have any time on the weekends to post anything, what with playing with the kids and all, which, honestly, is a welcome respite from all the things going on with the economy and the election. I'm even dreaming about this stuff now - last night I dreamt that I was obsessing over election polling numbers and statistics, so clearly I am very concerned about how all this is going to play out. There was some relief in hearing that Obama has taken a clear lead in the national polls, as well as in swing-state polls, but a lot could happen between now and November 4, so this is no time to be easing up on the gas.

At lunch today, I turned on CNN, and saw that the Dow is down 500 points today, and below 10,000 for the first time in four years. Richard Fuld, the former CEO of the now defunct Lehman Bros. was being grilled, live, by the House Oversight committee, and one of the members was taking the opportunity to grandstand - not a surprise, but it really turned me off. This is a serious crisis and we need to figure out how to get through it.

Certainly, it's not going to help the McCain campaign - they want the focus to turn away from the economy, so instead of talking about solutions or offering up their ideas for how to fix things, they're taking personal potshots at Obama and trying to tear him down. I think this is going to backfire for them. Oh, how I hope it's going to blow up in their faces. At least Obama's not letting this stuff stand - his campaign is hitting back hard. Keating Five anyone?

More on this later - I'm not done venting.

-EB

No comments: