Elliot Blake's Tumblr Photo Blog

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Motion Comics Are Here

The big news coming out of the New York Comic-Con this weekend - mainstream superhero comics news, anyway - was the announcement of in-continuity Spider-Woman motion comics by Marvel Comics' top writer, Brian Michael Bendis, and his brilliant long-time collaborator Alex Maleev. You can read interviews about this new venture here and here. I was particularly encouraged by what Bendis had to say; he recognizes that motion comics are neither comics nor animation, but instead something somewhere in between, and perhaps a totally new form of graphic fiction. And not without their challenges, as I wrote about recently. I'm going to write more about the topic this week when I've had a little more time to digest this news and do some additional research, but having Bendis tackle this nascent form of sort-of comics storytelling is a good thing. He's a smart writer, his work I think is ideally suited to this kind of limited animation, and he's a mensch. Which is neither here nor there, but I had the pleasure of interviewing him once for pilot I shot for GameTap TV (you can read about that experience here), and he was a mensch.

More on this soon.

-EB

No comments: